Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Culture Shock X 2

Culture Shock 1

Spot the difference
.
.
.
.
.
.
.


Ok, there are lots of differences between the 2 plates of chicken rice, but i would like to bring your attention to the circled spots



The pic on the left is taken from an asian website, while the pic on the right was taken from an european website. They are just for illustration.
I went to the Halland Nation for lunch yesterday and they were serving Chicken Rice with Cream mushroom soup! Sorry, i didnt have my camera with me, so no picture.
All the angmohs were using their fork to scoop the rice. I was comtemplating should i use the soup spoon or follow the angmohs in using the fork. I was rushing for time cos i need to rush back to the lab. So you should have guess it, i used the spoon for eating. I guess i looked stupid. I think i am the only one doing so. However, i just could not figure out why the angmohs prefer fork to spoon, even when eating rice. You can only get a small portion of rice with fork. Anyway, since I AM IN SWEDEN, i think i will try to learn the European culture the next time i visit the nation, provided i havetthe time to eat slowly.
Culture Shock 2
I was seating together with a swedish lady at lunch today, in the pantry located in the Biology building. I was eating my own-made sandwich. And guess what is the first thing she said to me:
" CAN YOU PLEASE CLOSE YOUR MOUTH WHILE YOU ARE CHEWING"
!!?@?#?#?@?!
I felt so embarassed, and i could only say sorry to her. And for the rest of the meals, i was trying so hard to chew my food without moving my mouth too much or chewing too vigorously. I dont know if i have open my mouth too much that all my bread and ham were sticking out of my mouth. But i thought i was chewing quite normally. And perhaps i have already frighten the other swedishs before, just that they are too shy to tell me to close my mouth. So, point taken. I will chew with my mouth CLOSE the next time.

2 comments:

sihui said...

weizhi! 新年快乐!快高张大!
i think the swedes watch da chang jin!
'chew at least 10 times b4 swallowin'.
heh. u shld try. its kinda like swallowin ur puke. everything is in too itsy bitsy teeny weeny lil bits.(nt bikini la) ha
neway, think u were gobblin ur food cos u spent hrs makin one tiny little sandwich rite?! haha

*Piscean* said...

oh boy~!! U can come back here to singland & chew with ur mouth wide open for all you like~!! hahaa.. =p~~~